Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Ha ha, very funny...

Well. It's been a while, eh? There are many things I could write about right now but I'd like to begin with the issue of humor.

Today, during a staff meeting, I made what I thought was a witty quip. Apparently nobody else felt the same way as npbody - that's nobody - laughed. Not even a chortle. AND, I had incorporated a significant comedy timing pause to allow for the anticipated chuckles. Nothing. So, in order to save face, I said "Well, I thought that was funny... moving on then..." Still no laughter. There are several possible explanations as to why this happened:

1. These people wouldn't know good humour if it hit them in the face, gosh darn it!!
2. I spoke too quietly and they just didn't hear the joke
3. It wasn't funny

Ok, so here's what I really think. First, I don't think they were expecting it. Somehow, anticipating humour makes it funnier...to me, anyway. Second, I am beginning to wonder if my humour has experienced cultural confusion. Let me take you back to an incident back in 2000 when I first realised that the humour I was used to in Scotland wouldn't necessary work in the USA - at least in Western PA. I had made a comment to my physical therapist's assistant that was fairly dry, slightly sarcastic, and definitely under the umbrella of 'banter'. To my complete horror, a blank face stared back at me, and he answered my comment in all seriousness. From then on, I tempered by desire to enter into that kind of humour and have held back ever since.

Fast forward to March 2007. Brian and I arrive in Scotland and start spending time with friends here. I notice fairly quickly that the banter flows perhaps faster even than the lager in the corner of the world. Friendly back and forths, laughing at each other, regularly employing dry, playful wit, and blunt honesty in coversation. This can sound like teasing or meanness - and in fact, I found myself feeling a little put out a couple of times. However, as time has gone on, I have rediscovered the art of banter. At first, it felt funny (that's peculiar, not ha ha!) and participated in banter with some fear and trepidation. I felt like I might be hurting folks feelings or something - but I was constantly reassured that this was not often the case. Of course, there's a line - one engages in banter with discernemnt and wisdom (!) and there is such a thing as going too far. Either way, I am delighted to report that my ability to banter has gone from strength to strength.

There are lots of other things going on in our life. Brian is in Berlin for FESPA - a print show. It's the first time we've spent any time apart since moving. The irony is that this is the week where we have some major decisions to make... but I will explain all of that in the next entry. I am too tired to write more at the minute!

No comments: