Sunday, May 27, 2007

Hip. Hip. Horrah to the NHS!

As you may have guessed from my last entry, I experienced a few moments of irritation last week! I am loathe to write much because some of it concerns work and I feel that writing about my colleagues here wouldn't be the fairest action on my part. However, there have been some good good moments this week on the whole. One thing in particular just made me feel good about being back home...

After a tough day at work last week (on the whole it's fine, by the way)I came home to find a piece of mail from the National Health Service addressed to me. I opened the envelope to find a Medical Exemption Certificate. This is a certificate which allows me to get ALL prescriptions free. I am entitled to this because I have hypo-thyroidism. It's not that the NHS charges all that much for a prescription (5.60) but I tell you what, this is good news! Good old NHS. There are, without a doubt, numerous problems with the NHS from long waiting lists to underpaid nurses, but there's no doubt, it's a system that has it's perks... you know, like free healthcare for all. There is just such a different feel to healthcare here. Ok, so yes, this is a dig at the insurance-based healthcare system I experienced in the States. I went for a blood test a few weeks ago and dutifully warned the nurse of my tendency to pass out after giving blood. She immediately made sure that I was lying down and comfortable, as well as using a method they use on children which decreases the sensation and thus the likelihood of fainting. Afterwards, she wouldn't let me move, fetched me and herself a cup of water, and chatted for a few minutes until I had finished my water. This, the opposite experience to the States where I was sat in a strange chair with a desk, blood taken, and sent off as fast as you can say "ouch! That hurt!" Now, I loved my doctors in the States - both in PA and MI I felt very privileged to have competent, caring doctors. But I always felt a little like a cog in the wheel, another human to push through the system. Even down to the small fact that in the States the receptionists insisted on asking me "what is your problem?" every time I booked an appointment. Every time I thought "none of your business, m'am" but every time I told her because I knew this was my ticket for an appointment. Now, I understand why they do it (helps to figure out urgency etc...) but honestly, I felt like my privacy was invaded every time. And another thing - this business of being weighed etc... at every doctors visit - way to may you feel like a child. None of that here. Glory Hallelujah! I can't tell you how good it is to know that I don't have to face that big scale on the wall with a strange nurse noting the flucutation since the last time I was there.

Phew.

All that is to say that I am enjoying the NHS. I am sure that one day, someone I love will need serious surgery, and there will be a waiting line so long that private health care will become an option. For now, however, I will enjoy the perks of the welfare state, and I will stand firm in my belief that it is how it should be.

2 comments:

Meika said...

Hi Fiona, I came to you via Heidi and had to comment on this... we're in Japan now where they also have a national health care system. Even though we weren't on their rolls, when I got pregnant here I got coupons for all sorts of free medical and dental care for me and the baby. When I had the baby, we stayed in the clinic for five days and got great support, gourmet meals, and even a massage. Our total tab? Around $3700. I've just read that the average birth in the US costs around $7000 with no complications, and you're only in the hospital for a day or so! All this to say that I wholeheartedly agree with you. There's no doubt in my mind that private health insurance (at least as practiced in the US) drives prices up and gives consumers a worse product. I'd return to Japan for the second baby in a heartbeat - and it would probably still be cheaper than the U.S., airfare included!

Anonymous said...

oh, the health care system. I blogged about that a while back:

http://blog.vg-r.com/2007/01/why_do_bad_offices_happen_to_g.html

glad you're having a good experience with NHS, though.