Tuesday, June 12, 2007

A big week

Over the past week, Brian and I have been agonizing over a decision. A few weeks ago I was invited to an interview at Moray House, the University of Edinburgh School of Education. I was thrilled! I had applied for the one-year Post Graduate Diploma of Education in Religious, Moral, and Philosophical Secondary Education and getting an interview was nothing short of a miracle (there was one place available). Not only that, but I was told that I would be offered the place. As you can imagine, I was ecstatic! I called a few people and shared my good news. I had felt like it would take a miracle for this to happen, and... bingo!

However, as we started to think about the implications of me entering a teacher training year months after our arrival here, we started to wonder if it was the right decision. We had talked about it before for sure, but the reality of how intense the year would be finally hit.

This has NOTHING to do with my desire to teach or belief that this is the right thing to do - it has everything to do with timing. We've already been through a big move and the stress that comes with it. While I am excited about entering teacher training, the truth is that it is a very busy and emotionally draining year. It wasn't that I wasn't aware of this, or that we hadn't talked about it. It's just that reality alters the perspective a little... All that is to say, Brian and I have become convinced that we need a little more space this year. Therefore, after MUCH conversation, prayer, talking with people, tears and agonizing, I have declined the offer.

I can reapply at any time and if I want, at other institutions - my options remain open. It was a hard decision to make - especially for me - very hard to give up this opportuntiy. I had felt so good about being offered a place - proud of myself for applying, and for being offered the place. However, I think that a year without the stress of teacher training will be better for us as a couple in the long run.

The burning desire to teach remains, and I can't wait until the day I enter teacher training. For now, I will focus on being a supportive wife to a husband who is in his first year of living in a new country.

Phew! What a week!

3 comments:

Captainwow said...

CONGRATULATIONS! ON both counts... getting the space, and making the hard decision.. I hope it proves to be very helpful to you both!

And, in response to previous post about senses of humor, no offense to your U.S. frenz, but it sounds like maybe you were simply hanging out with the WRONG FOLKS!! haha.

Heidi Sue said...

Dearest Fi,

Praise God that he led you through this decision to a place of peace and rest. May the teaching vocation burn within you like a warm and eager fire as you attend to your marital vocation this year...

Heidi Sue said...

Fi,

Tag - you're it!

Check out my blog for a fun game...

Heidi