Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Post box trauma

Two blog entries from Fi in one day. Lucky you.

Anyway, I just HAD to note this one: I miss American mailboxes. Let me explain. Today I walked along to the pillarbox at the end of our road to post an envelope. I was forced to bend and fold my mail in order to get it through the slot. This I found to be intensely irritating because that envelope contained a job application. I had spent rather a long time preparing the documents contained, and specifically bought a large envelope to prevent foldage (yes, I know that's not a word). American mailboxes while in my opinion less pretty, are infinitely more practical. With that pull-down chute thingy (or at least the wide mouthed mailslot) you can put a wide variety of sizes into the mail box. Here in the UK one is limited it appears, to small letters and packages. It might be said that these are appropriate parallels to the respective cultures but we won't go there for now.






I also miss the practice of leaving stamped mail in the home mailbox for the postie to pick up. Now THAT is convenient. On the other hand, I get more exercise by walking to the mailbox. Six and half a dozen really.

Ok, it's not like I can't post large packages and envelopes in Scotland. I just have to walk further and try harder.

No comments: