Sunday, September 16, 2007

My Annual Flashback

The other morning, while blowdrying my hair, I had my annual flashback. This happens every year, around the middle of September. It's usually during the first chill of the fall hits. That cold can hit me from anywhere - an open window, first step outside in the morning... either way, it's the same every year: I am transported back to September 1999 when I first moved to the States. I have such strong memories of that time in my life that the first chill of the fall always reminds me of that season. I can remember staying with the Kuhn family. I can still recall the comforting sweet smell of their home. I remember sitting in a chilly office figuring out a new email system and flickng through youth ministry resources. I remember looking for a flat with Jackie and 'shopping' for furniture at the city mission. I can see the shop and save and picture where to find the frozen juice (something I found fascinating!) and the dollar bargain aisle. I can almost taste apple cider from the Spring House, and homemade brownies at coffee hour. The list could go on. Every year it is the same - strong memories of that first few months in Washington Pennsylvania. I think I will miss fall in the states. For one, the leaves are definitely more spectacular. Edinburgh just doesn't have as many trees! We don't do seasonal ritual here because our seasons kind of blend into one. While I hate things like Hobby Lobby's overload of seasonal merchandise I love the fact that seasons are recognised more significantly. I will miss pumpkins and 'mums on doorsteps. I will miss houses lit up at Christmas. I will miss driving through town and enjoying the creations - allbeit many of them OTT and tacky - in gardens, on houses, and doorsteps. I will miss the feeling that we are distinctly moving to a new season. I will miss moving my summer clothes to another closet and sorting out my fall attire. Instead, we will drift into autumn and wander into winter.

As for the fashback to that other distinct season in my life, there is a lot more I could say on that subject. But one thing I know for certain is that I have come quite a distance since then.

No comments: