Thursday, September 13, 2007

Home

They say it takes eighteen months before you feel settled in a new place - and certainly I can't say I feel totally settled in our new life. However, I have begun to notice a sense of belonging about being in Leith - and in our flat particularly. Perhaps it is because 'the nights are fair drawing in' as fall approaches and 8 pm is no longer as bright as 5 pm. Perhaps it is because our flat looks more lived in these days (especially since it hasn't been cleaned for some time!). Either way, I have started to feel as though I am breathing out and settling in. The other day, as I watched Brian leave on my bike to cycle to the gym, and after that, the store, I had this incredible sense of belonging to this area of edinburgh, this town, this life. I think that part of it is that we have developed routine. It's a well known fact that we humans often thrive on routine and ritual. It appears to give us a sense of rhythm in life, and predictability is settling. I think that is what's happening with me and Brian. As the autumn approaches, I am glad that we have routine. The short days and chilly air can feel hostile - but to have rhythm and routine feels comfortable and familiar.

No comments: