Friday, March 14, 2008

Spring has sprung!

I wandered lonely as a cloud:
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

For some reason, when I was a child, my father had me learn these first 6 lines of William Wordsmith's poem 'I Wandered Lonely As a Cloud'. Yet, although I am not sure why he did that from his perspective, it makes sense to me. I love daffodils. Perhaps it's the poem that introduced me to the beauty of daffodils or maybe it just articulates the way I felt about the bright yellow flower. Either way, the poem remains the same for me today as it did 25 years ago - brilliant.

The daffodils are coming out in Scotland now. Spring has definitely sprung! There's something about the freshness of spring that makes my heart happy. It relaxes me - winter is on its way out... hats, scarves, and gloves are no longer a given. The sun is bright, and the skies are blue. Of course there are still days of rain and wind, but at least it's changeable and in between the dark clouds, the sun shines through briliantly.

I don't have much more to say on this - other than that I am thoroughly enjoying a Scottish Spring. ahhhh...

No comments: